Monday, May 21, 2007

140 essays tell why local children love Webkinz

Triangle kids are wild about Webkinz.



If you're clueless, Webkinz are stuffed animals that are in such demand that stores can't keep them stocked, and they're being auctioned online for top dollar.

These are toys with a purpose. Children register the animals online and then are responsible for caring for their virtual pet. They play educational games to earn "Kinzcash" to buy things in the virtual world for their pet. Teachers and parents -- some of them wrote us, too -- say that Web-kinz help teach math and money skills.

We asked fans to tell us what Webkinz taught them about money.


* Greer Wendland, 11, of Apex wrote that Webkinz teach you "to contain your inner shopper and save up your money."

* Elissa Gaiffi, 6, of Cary learned the hard way not to share her account information in the hopes that her friends would help her earn Kinzcash. "I gave my password to Andrew, but he went on my account and spent all my money," she wrote. "I was very sad, and learned my lesson not to give out my password anymore."

* Christina Bailey, 6, of Raleigh addressed the Webkinz shortage that has parents scrambling. "Mom says the stores are sold out and the only way to get them is to buy them on Ebay," she wrote. "The people on Ebay want 50 dollars for a webkinz. They are bad people."

* "My teacher is pleased how well I am doing in math," Amelia Parkerson, 8, of Wake Forest wrote. "I told her it's all because of Webkinz."

* Cary's Leah Jensen, 9, had this thought for doubtful parents: "Web-kinz does not turn your kid's brain into mush because it's educational and talks about the economy."

Here are the winning essays:

'I saved up for a long time until finally I got one'

I have learned that the smartest way to buy something is to save up all your KinzCash and wait until you see it in the Curio Shop if it's a rare item or wait until it's on sale or you have a lot of KinzCash if it's in the W Shop.

When I was running low on food one day I went to the W Shop and saw that oranges were 30% off. I bought them and I saved a lot of money that I used later to buy a table and some chairs for my Webkinz's room. When I need to buy a bed I usually play games in the arcade that I'm good at (beds usually cost a lot of KinzCash even if they're on sale) until I have about 1000 KinzCash. I really wanted a pool one day to put in my backyard so I saw that they cost about 2000 KinzCash! I saved up for a long time until finally I got one and still had enough KinzCash leftover to buy a T.V. I have seen really cool books and video games before and I've saved my money and bought them and had a lot of money left to save up. If I win a Webkinz I will give it to my sister. She almost got a Pegasus but it was needed for something else for our school, so I really want her to win either Webkinz.

--Daniel Nance

'Savvy buying is ... a must'

Webkinz has taught me about saving money and buying smartly. If you don't save your money in Webkinzworld, you will end up broke. Saving money in Webkinzworld is the key to letting your Webkinz live a longer, happier life. If you buy everything your Webkinz wants, you won't be able to afford its needs. If it doesn't have a bed to sleep in or food to eat, it will get sick and die. And believe me, a dead Webkinz is absolutely no fun!

Savvy buying in Webkinzworld is a must. You don't need "exclusive" items. (Exclusive items are only available to owners of five or more Webkinz and are very expensive.) Sale items can be very cute. Save the exclusive item for your Webkinz birthday.

There are ways to earn extra KinzCash in Webkinzworld. Don't forget to play the "game of the day!" If you play the "game of the day," you get more Kinzcash than usual. If you win, you get your name written up in the Webkinz newspaper! Also, you can sell Arte, the dog who owns the Curio Shop, any items you don't need anymore. It is like a virtual consignment store.

Webkinz has taught me things about money and saving that I can use in real life. Just like in Webkinzworld, I consigned a painting I did not need anymore when I redid my room. Webkinz has taught me the value of comparing prices in the real world. I help my Mom by picking up coupons in the grocery store. I investigate to see which brand is having a sale on ice cream before buying it. I always check the clearance rack before I purchase.

Webkinz has also taught me the importance of saving. It has taught me not to buy everything that I want. Instead, I save my money for special things. Right now I am saving for clothes for my doll.

Webkinz has shown me how to purchase smartly in Web-kinzworld, as well as in the real world.

--Evie Fordham

'I have $8,948 dollars on Webkinz because I save my money'

Everything in the W shop, where you buy things on webkinz.com, is really expensive, even if it's on sale! Sometimes you get free coupons so you can get discounts on items. The best coupon I've ever gotten is 60% off! To save money I buy the cheapest food. That compares to real life because you need money for other things too. So you can't just buy the most expensive food for your pet. You can use expensive food for special occasions instead.

I have $8,948 dollars on Webkinz because I save my money. If my pet gets sick, I want to be prepared in case the medicine costs $2,000. I saved up to buy a bed that cost $1,200. All my younger sister does is try to win stuff and send gifts to everybody. So she only has $509 dollars. She wouldn't have enough money if her pet got sick and the medicine cost $2,000.

I am now saving up for a living room. I save my money in real life for things I want right now. I used some of my money to buy my first Webkinz. I have 3 now.

Most people like to save their money but some people don't. Some people like to send gifts to others because they think they will get a package back, like my sister. Some people just buy things repeatedly.

I have learned that you should be a good shopper, use coupons when available and don't forget to save your money.

No comments: